Welcome to our Home

woensdag, juni 27, 2012

If you were to come into our home 

I would open our door and say 
"Hey! I'm so happy you could drop by" 
We would sit down in our dining room 

and you would ask about what we were doing in our garden because it looks like a complete mess
and I would tell you it's still in project mode, but I can't wait for it to be finished 
I would hope that you would notice the back window decor




Then I would make a nice cup of coffee 


and as I got some cookies out I will tell you that I can't wait to look out my kitchen window 
and see  a completed garden, but for the moment I'm happy that I can look out and dream about the possibilities 

Then we would walk over into the living room 


And have a nice chat about love, life and the pursuit of happiness 
all the while watching people coming and going out our front window 

I would then tell you that if you come one evening we can light the fire 
and roast marsh mellows 




you then would ask why there is an old window frame above the couch 
and I would proudly tell you that I just finished painting and distressing this old frame I got for 5 Euros 
and that I liked the idea that you can always change the things that will go inside the frame and I like that more than having something that never changes there. 

Then I would ask you to go upstairs 

but before we do I would have to show you my new gas stove and oven that my grandmothers bought as a gift for us. And I would tell you that it's the first oven we've had since our married life and how much I love it! 


Then I would ask you if you would like to see the rest of the house 
but to please not be too loud because the girls are sleeping 
and I'll show you their rooms on another visit 

We would walk up the stairs and the first room you would see would be to your left which is the small guest room. 

I tell you that we want to have a handicapped child come stay with us on the weekends and this is where he/she would stay. 


then to room right of this one you would see Johan's and my room 


 and I would tell you about that wooden chest at the end of our bed. Johan's grandfather (a carpenter) migrated to Amsterdam from Friesland and he didn't have any suitcases because they were too expensive 
so he built his own suitcases out of wood.

I would also tell you that normally don't like ikea stuff, because it''s a bit too modern for me 
and if anyone knows me...i'm definitely a more antique/old fashioned, but I found this at ikea and it made me quite happy 

Then we would go up the stairs which Johan and I are busy repainting and carpeting 
to the attic 
(and I would tell you it's my favourite part of the house)

And this is what you would see at the top of the stairs 



we would first walk into my room to the right 


this is my peaceful nook in the house 
where I go when I want to do a project (like the framde) 
or to have my quiet time 

I would tell you that Johan's other grandfather (a painter by trade)  painted this poster on the wall 



Then we would go to the left to the main guest room
I would tell you that you are always welcome to stay over the night 
and that we love having guests and that if you ever need to get away 
we would love to have you
and this is where you would stay 




I would also tell you that these are my favourite books in the world 
(excluding anne of green gables and the little house on the prairie series) 

you could sit and rock in the chair that was from Johan's great aunt 
(that I refurbished) 


and that while you rocked on the rocking chair you could enjoy the picture drawn by Johan's grandfather Samuel. 

And then the girls would probably start waking up
And then I would invite you for dinner, because it was just about to be that time 
and you would say 
"Bethany, I know your cooking...I'll pass!" 


xx
Bethany 



You Might Also Like

1 reacties

  1. Love you house Bethany! It would be so fun to come visit :)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen